85 gms sugar
40 gms self raising flour
15 gms cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp powdered sugar for the syrup
3 tbsp melted butter or margarine
For The Decoration
biscuit crumbs for decoration
For The Crust
2 tbsp melted butteror margarine
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp melted raspberry jam
6 to 8 marie biscuits
For The Cream
1 packet strong gelatine
2 egg whites
5 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
200 gms fresh cream
For the cake
- Grease and dust a 175 mm. ( 7″) diameter tin.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa together.
- Beat the eggs and sugar very well until thick and double in quantity. This should take 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, melted butter, essence and 2 tablespoons of water. Mix with a metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 400°f for 10 minutes. Thereafter, reduce the temperature to 350°f and bake for a further 7 minutes.
- Cool the cake.
- Divide the cake into 2 parts horizontally. The top part should be thinner than the other one.
- Make a syrup by mixing 1/2 teacup of water very well with 2 teaspoons of powdered sugar. If you like, add a little rum or other liquor to the syrup.
- Sprinkle a little syrup over the two cake parts and allow to soak. Repeat after 10 minutes. Be sure that the cakes are moist.
For the crust
- Crush the biscuits. Add the sugar and melted butter.
- Apply the jam on the back of the cake.
- Press the biscuit mixture over the jam.
For the cream
- Mix the gelatine in 4 tablespoons of cold water. Heat on a slow flame until it dissolves completly.
- Beat the cream with sugar. Keep aside 2 tablespoons for decoration.
- Mix the gelatine solution and cream well.
- Beat the egg – whites stiffly.
- Mix the beaten egg – whites and vanilla essence.
- Grease a 150 mm. Pour the mixture into it.
- Set it in the freezer compartment of a refrigerator.
- When the cream sets, dip the mould in hot water for a few seconds.
How to proceed
- Place the sets cream on the thick part of the cake, put the thin part on the top and press well.
- Decorate the cake with the saved cream and grated chocolate. Apply a few biscuit crumbs on the sides of the cream.
- Store the cake in a refrigerator.
- Cut into slices and serve.